While your opinions on the type of home you want to own may change during the home buying process, use this easy checklist to help you set your priorities and make the home selection process less time consuming.
- What neighborhoods do you like?
- What school system(s) would you like to be near?
- How close do you need to be to:
- public transportation
- neighborhood shopping
- What architectural style(s) of homes do you prefer?
- Do you want a one story or two-story house?
- How old of a home would you consider?
- How much repair or renovation would you be willing to do?
- Do you have special facilities or needs that your home must meet?
- Do you require a fenced yard or other amenities for your pets?
Please categorize the options by Must Have and Would Prefer:
- single family
- number of bedrooms
- number of bathrooms
- single story or multi-story
- garage size
- central air conditioning
- new construction
- age of home
- fenced yard
- family room
- formal living room
- formal dining room
- eat-in kitchen
- laundry room
EVALUATING YOUR ACTIVITIES AND LIFESTYLE
The neighborhood you choose can have a big impact on your lifestyle, for example: safety, available amenities and convenience all play a part in home ownership satisfaction. Think about the activities you like, (beaches, golfing, fishing, shopping, movies, health club, organizations). Use this list to determine how far you would like to travel from each neighborhood to your favorite activity locations.